What Licenses Does a Mechanical Piping Contractor Have?

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

What Licenses Does a Mechanical Piping Contractor Have?

Mechanical piping contractors are usually required to obtain the same licensing that conventional HVAC professionals receive. The procedure associated with this licensing process varies from state to state, but most require going through an extensive application process paired with two different exams: mechanical then business and finance. These requirements are regulated by the Department of Public Health, along with the Division of Labor. The licenses can be issued to applicants as individual technicians, or to larger commercial entities.

The Initial Step in Mechanical Piping Contractor Licensing

The first thing any individual applicant or business entity should do is start the application process. Although these requirements differ in each state, most areas require you to prove that you have the following:

  • the appropriate application fee
  • a surety bond
  • recent credit reports
  • a list of education and experience
  • proof of insurance
  • any company or technician information

The application fee is often associated with registering as a mechanical piping contractor, and it is generally under $100 for each applicant. Depending on the region, the surety bond is several thousand dollars, and it used as a way to prove that the applicant is stable enough financially to take on a commercial license. A full credit report should also be provided that includes a recent FICO score to prove an even higher level of financial responsibility.

Applicants are also required to prove that they have the appropriate amount of experience and education to take on mechanical piping work. For instance, Florida requires that if a technician or business head does not have four years of education from an accredited university, then they must have enough experience as a foreman to make up for it. Someone who has only received three years of formal education in the construction field will be required to provide proof of working as a foreman for one year.

Testing Protocols: The Mechanical Exam and Business and Finance Exam

The mechanical exam is usually an all-day test that includes morning and afternoon exams. Most states provide applicants with 130 questions on subjects such as pre-installation, installation of HVAC systems, and maintenance services. There will also be sections quizzing the applicant’s knowledge on safety and equipment.

The business and finance exam is also quite lengthy, consisting of around 120 questions in most scenarios. Technicians and businesses will be tested on how to establish contracting businesses, as well as how to manage administrative responsibilities. They will also have to prove that they are knowledgeable in areas such as government regulations and human resources.

Each state has its own requirements in regard to the licensing of mechanical piping contractors, but these are the general procedures that are most often followed. It may seem like it comes with a demanding list of prerequisites, but these requirements are put in place to ensure that contractors provide reliable, quality work. Contact our licensed mechanical piping contractors at 408-295-2182 to see how we can help with your latest project.

Hiring a mechanical engineer for building retrofits, rebuilds, additions, or enhancements is the quickest and surest way to obtain the ideal facilities for supporting your operations. Are you ready to make your workplace more modern, efficient, or compliant? If so, we can help.

Call us today at 408-295-2182.


Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top