If you’ve never hired a contractor, it can be a little confusing to know exactly what to ask. It’s not like hiring a plumber. Folks know exactly what a plumber does and what questions to ask, but construction projects are something people undertake for the first time fairly late in life most of the time. What do you ask of a contractor? Well, the answer to the question begins by understanding some of what a contractor does and understanding your own goals for your project. Consumers who want to hire contractors are sometimes not well-informed about the process, but contractors themselves – good contractors – want you to understand the process going into the arrangement so that they can give you exactly the type of work you want done.
What To Ask a Contractor in San Jose
Before you hire a contractor, make sure to ask a few of the important questions right off the bat:
- Ask yourself what kind of contractor you want: general, specialty, architect, or designer
- Make sure to have contractors give you an estimate up front so that you know what your costs will be
- Ask if they will be getting the required permits. Good contractors take care of your permits for you.
- It’s fine to ask for references when you’re hiring someone for a job this big
- Ask what kind of insurances they carry, as contracting jobs can sometimes injure workers
If you ask a contractor all of these questions up front, plus a few more that friends and family who’ve hired them before might recommend, you can save yourself a lot of time and trouble and ensure that you hire a contractor who is great at what they do. Not all contractors are going to give you great work for a tremendous value. You need a contractor, also, who understands building permits and construction legalities in general so that you don’t find yourself in a mess mid-project.
If you ask good questions of your contractor and ensure that everything is going to be according to what you genuinely want, and you have a good feel for the project itself, too, things are going to be a lot easier on you. With a great contractor behind you, terrific building projects are just ahead.
We can help you create terrific building projects. Call now 408-295-2182.