HVAC systems need maintenance and cleaning just as any similar household or commercial appliance or piece of equipment does. In order for an HVAC system to function correctly, it’s important that the AC ducts are properly cleaned. Moreover, the cleanliness of these AC ducts will affect the health of those that use it as well. While it’s important to consistently clean one’s air ducts, the time frame in which to do so will vary.
Consulting local HVAC experts is the best way to determine how often your AC ducts need to be cleaned. However, there are a few standard guidelines HVAC owners should follow when considering the cleanliness of their AC ducts.
Clean AC Ducts Every Few Years
AC ducts should be cleaned every 3-5 years. While each HVAC system will vary, this is a general time frame that includes the best time to clean the system. Just as AC ducts should never go five years without a good cleaning, HVAC systems that require multiple cleanings a year aren’t functioning properly. HVAC ducts shouldn’t need to be cleaned every year, as this is a sign that the system needs to be fixed rather than cleaned.
When determining how often to clean the AC ducts, it’s important to recognize signs that the ducts need to be cleaned:
- There is dust build-up along the vent register
- The HVAC has excessive debris in the filter area
- There is thick dirt inside the ducts
- There are signs of vermin infestation
- There are bursts of waste exiting the supply registers
- There is a mold smell flowing from the air vents
In addition to paying attention to the above signs, HVAC ducts should be cleaned during specific circumstances. You’ll need to deep clean your HVAC in the following situations:
- After a remodeling project
- After building a new house
- After moving into a house
- If you own pets
- If chemical irritants have spread through the house
- If individuals using the HVAC experience allergic reactions
Whether it’s been 3-5 years and your ducts are due for a cleaning or the situation warrants a deep clean, it’s best to trust this task to the professionals to guarantee your HVAC system is properly cleaned. Ready to get started? Call us today at 408-295-2182.